Friday, November 9, 2012

On the Closing of Cokesbury Bookstore

This week I was saddened to learn that all Cokesbury Book retail stores will be closed.  For many years they have served our area well as both a church supply and Christian bookstore.  It was always great to be able to roam the aisle, peruse the books and other goodies.  They always had free coffee and often cookies or other snacks.  What I will miss most is the personal service.

I remember when I was ordained deacon some 28 years ago how proud my parents were to go there and purchase for me my first clergy robe as a gift.  Likewise a few years later when I earned my doctorate they went back to purchase the stripes that went on the sleeves.  The clerk there even know a seamstress who could sew them on for us.  It's a wonderful memory.

That personal service has helped me make disciples.  Traditionally, our church presented Bibles to those being baptized.  In my present appointment I find myself sometimes baptizing adults who come to the faith for the first time.  I purchased a supply of "Wesley Study Bibles" when they were on sale a few years back.  When someone is being baptized, I would take them back to the store to have the leather cover engraved with their name.  It's amazing to me how many people became more serious about studying and reading the Bible by that simple personal touch made possible by having a local Cokesbury store who remembered you when you came in and knew you by name.

I know that the world is changing and online/ phone ordering may be the wave of the future, but the little personal touches made possible by a local store was a witness to Christ and the love of His Church.  I will surely miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment